Friday, July 03, 2009

Well, there is an "Arrested Development" movie in the works, but ...

"Well, if there was a drinking game where one had to drink every time a character cursed then the player of that game would be dead in ten minutes. Seriously. Don’t play that game."
- Judd Apatow, about the amount of cursing in his new movie, "Funny People"


I love that quote, and it's easily the funniest thing in a recent interview Apatow gave to MTV Movies.

Even better, and I'm more than happy to swipe it - with credit, of course - the MTV Movies Blog also had an interview with Charlie Day of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" which contained this rather juicy description of an upcoming show:

“One of my favorite scripts right now is an episode called ‘The Gang Wrestles for the Troop.' In our attempt to honor the troops coming back from Iraq, we try and put on a wrestling match and ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper is appearing in that. He’s playing a down on his luck wrestler called Da Maniac. All great wrestling performers had a good entrance song, so we’ve written our own entrance song about the Birds of War, which is what we call ourselves.”

Wow .. I can picture all that, and in my mind at least, it's just insanely funny. Day, who is somehow going to star in a romantic comedy called "Going the Distance" with Drew Barrymore, Christina Applegate and Justin Long, also promised some shenanigans with ponzi schemes and perhaps maybe even an octomom, so I'll definitely be watching when the show finally returns Sept. 17.

But, as the rather cruel headline promised, what I wanted to mention today was an "Arrested Development" movie of sorts, though certainly not the one many people have been hoping for.

Instead, as you can see from the trailer below, it's a documentary project by two rather crazed AD fans named Neil and Jeff, and I'm really not sure what to make of it. On the one hand, I can certainly admire and respect (actually, I just realized the Federer-Haas match is in a first-set tie-breaker ... be right back ... OK, Federer won, I'm back) that level of rather obsessed fandom, but I really can't imagine that 90 minutes of talking heads (though, not, apparently, stars who are still working, meaning Jason Bateman or Michael Cera) waxing nostalgic for this seriously great show, without apparently any clips, will be all that entertaining.

But, like I said, I can certainly support this level of obsession, so check out the site here, enjoy this trailer for what they're cooking up, and have a great weekend. Peace out.

2 comments:

Bob said...

I was actually interviewed for that documentary when they came to Seattle about a year and a half ago. No idea how much they'll use (honestly I'd be surprised if I end up in there at all given the amount of people they talked to) but maybe, just maybe you'll get to see me doing Gob's chicken dance.

Reel Fanatic said...

I'll go out of my way to watch the movie if I ever get a chance just to see that, Bob